Simple text guide compiling all the tinderboxes and notes in the game as described by the wiki. Quick reference for a Master Archivist/Illuminatus runs.
Read all notes in all games.
You must pick up all notes in both the base game *and* the Justine DLC in one save file each. Diaries don’t count for this achievement; only the “notes” section in the journal counts.
Picked up every tinderbox in Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
You must pick up all tinderboxes in the base game in one save file. The specific trigger is apparently when you go from 150 tinderboxes to 151.
In The Dark Descent (base game), there are 21 notes (^) and 151 tinders (*).
In Justine (DLC), there are 9 notes (%) and 0 tinderboxes (tinderboxes in Justine don’t count).
You can search the guide for these using their symbols.
* On the table in the small room behind Daniel as soon as he wakes up.(1)
* Further ahead, in the corridor, a tinderbox can be found in a closet to the left.(2)
* In front of the closet, a small room with a fireplace can be found. The third tinderbox is on the table in the room.(3)
* Exiting the room, another tinderbox can be found to the right inside of another closet.(4)
* The next tinderbox can be found in a tiny, dark room with a knights armor in it, to your right just before you enter the Old Archives.(5)
** In the first room to your right after entering the Old Archives, two tinderboxes can be found. (6 & 7)
* In the room where the lantern is found, a tinderbox can be found in a chest. (8)
* Behind some boxes in the large room right before the smaller room where Daniel’s note to self can be found. (9)
* In a closet in the same room. (10)
1 note (1 total)
^ Daniel’s note to self
Found at the end of the Old Archives, on a desk.
** In the short hallway leading down to the castle entrance, two tinderboxes can be found. One in a chest, and one on a bookshelf.(11 & 12)
* On the upper level, near a section of the castle blocked off by rocks, on the floor, a tinderbox can be found.(13)
* At the bottom of the staircase to your right as you walk up to the door leading to the Archives.(14)
* In the “Catalogues” room to your immediate left, a tinderbox can be found in a desk.(15)
* In the study, where another of Daniel’s diary entries is, a tinderbox can be found in the desk.(16)
** Two tinderboxes can be found in the “Old Tomes” section of the library. One is in a chest with an oil container, and another is inside a small fireplace.(17 & 18)
* On top of the fireplace at the far end of the window gallery.(19)
*** Three tinderboxes can be found in the “Floor Plans” room. One on a shelf, and two in a chest at the far end of the room.(20, 21 & 22)
* In the “Maps” section of library, where another part of Daniel’s diary entries lie.(23)
3 notes (4 total)
^ Wilhelm’s Contract
Found in a bookshelf in the Catalogues room, in the Archives.
^ Local Folklore
Found in a display in the Local History room. You must break the glass in order to collect it.
^ Regarding Closing of the Wine Cellar
Found in the desk of the hidden room in the Local History section.
** In the large room where the Orpiment is found, in the area where you see the Grunt walk off to after you pick up the Laudanum, a pair of tinderboxes can be found. One is on top of a bookshelf, and another is on an empty shelf nearby. (24 & 25)
** Further ahead in that same area, in the sub-room where the Orpiment is found, another tinderbox can be found on the bottom of a shelf filled with bottles, and on the other side of the wall that the shelf is leaning against, another one can be found on a shelf in the corner. (26 & 27)
* At the top of the shelf where you find the Orpiment. (28)
** In the room with the Calamine, two tinderboxes can be found. One is on a shelf full of boxes near the oil barrel, and another is on a desk. (29 & 30)
* In a chest in the room with Wilhelm’s note and the Aqua Regia. (31)
1 note (5 total)
^ Wilhelm’s Last Words
Found on a table in the far room, next to the Aqua Regia.
** In a small corner filled with boxes to your right when you enter the main laboratory area, two tinderboxes can be found. One is on the floor, and one is in a chest. (32 & 33)
** There is another pair of tinderboxes in the area with the Chemistry Pot and a Memory Capsule. One is in the desk, and another is in a small fireplace opposite the desk. (34 & 35)
* One last tinderbox can be found on a shelf near the well with the Kaernk in it. It’s on the very left. (36)
2 notes (7 total)
^ Chemical relocation
Found on the desk where the ingredients are mixed, in the main Laboratory area.
^ Early alchemy experiment
Found on a desk in the main Laboratory area, next to the Chemistry Pot.
** There are two tinderboxes in a small room to your left after entering the area you see the Grunt in. One is on top of a shelf, and the other is behind a group of barrels. (37 & 38)
** If you instead enter the room to the right, where another part of Daniel’s diary entries also is, two tinderboxes can be found. One is in a corner on the floor to the left of the entrance, and another is on a shelf to the right of the entrance. (39 & 40)
* Proceeding from the room mentioned above, another tinderbox can be found on shelf just left of the entrance. (41)
* In the large room with the table, a tinderbox can be found on the floor opposite the hole in the wall. (42)
*** Going through the hole in the wall to the room with the trapdoor and the crank, three tinderboxes can be found. One of them is on a shelf to the left of the trapdoor, and the other two can be found in a chest at the far end of the room. (43, 44 & 45)
25 tinders (72 total)
* On the large shelf in the middle of the first room as you enter the storage, near a candle. (48)
*** To the first room on your left, where you find the first drill part, three tinderboxes can be found. Two of them on a shelf on the left, and one on a shelf on the right. (49, 50 & 51)
* Heading out of the room, straight ahead and down the stairs into the “Equipment” area, in the tiny room to your immediate right, on the floor underneath the note describing how to create the explosive, one tinderbox can be found. (52)
**** Exiting the room and following the wall to your right, you will find another small room. In this room, four tinderboxes can be found—one on the shelf to the left, one on another shelf in the wall nearby, one on another shelf on the right side of the room, and one more in a small chest nearby. (53, 54, 55 & 56)
** Exiting and following the wall further, to the right, around a corner to another small room, two tinderboxes can be found. One of them sits on a box, and another one sits on a shelf near the drill part. (57 & 58)
** Exiting and following the wall to the right yet again and around another corner, yet another small room can be found. In here, two tinderboxes can be found on a bookshelf to your right; one at the top of it, and one in the middle of it. (59 & 60)
* Heading back to the starting area and up to the section labelled “Machine Parts”, a tinderbox can be found on the ground near the rubble. (61)
*** After you blow up the rubble using the explosive mixture, two tinderboxes can be found in a chest behind some barrels on the left of the shelf-like structure, and another one on a shelf on the right side. (62, 63 & 64)
* Pressing on, you’ll enter a large room labeled “Food Storage”. A single tinderbox can be found in the large table or shelf in the middle of the room. (65)
* At the left side of the room, near some sacks. (66)
* On a bookshelf at the right side of the room, between the two doors. (67)
* In the first room at the right side of the room, the one with the hanging pig carcasses, a tinderbox can be found in a bookshelf to the right of the entrance. (68)
*** In the other room, three tinderboxes can be found. Two of the tinderboxes are on a shelf at the left side of the room, and the third is on the floor at the right side of the room, next to a couple of sacks. Be careful though, as there is a Grunt in this room. If it kills you once, however, it will de-spawn, giving you easy access to the room. (69, 70 & 71)
* At the very end of the Storage, on the ground in the far back of the room where you pick up the rods. (72)
2 notes (9 total)
^ Regarding Explosive Mixture
Found on a table in the room to the right after going down the stairs in the Equipment section.
^ In case of a missing rod
Found at the very end of the Storage, next to the two rods needed to power the elevator.
* One tinderbox can be found in the desk on the left side of the Guest Room, where you find the crowbar.(73)
* On top of the fireplace in the bedroom.(74)
** Two tinderboxes can be found in the room to your immediate right as you enter the Study. One of them is on a shelf near the entryway, and another one can be found in a chest further into the room.(75 & 76)
* One tinderbox can be found in the desk in the back room that can be accessed from the room with the stuffed dogs, the one with Alexander’s portrait in it.(77)
* Another one can be found on the outside awning. You’ll see it right after you’ve broken the window by throwing an object at it.(78)
** Two more tinderboxes can be found in a chest at the small area adjacent to the room where you pick up the rods.(79 & 80)
4 notes (13 total)
^ Letter Regarding the Discovery of an Orb
Found on a small table in the first room to the left.
^ Animal Experiment
Found on a table at the centre of the room with the stuffed dogs, in the corridor.
^ Anatomy Frontiers
Found on a small table of the sub-room to the previous one, that has an Alexander portrait in it.
^ Elevator Machine Instructions
Found on a table in the room reached by the window, next to the elevator rod.
** Two tinderboxes can be found in a corner of the room with the levers – the first room to your right. One is on a box, and the other one is on the floor. (81 & 82)
** Two more can be found in the room where you place the rods, in a chest close to the gear. (83 & 84)
* One more can be found on a shelf in the room with all the coal. (85)
1 note (14 total)
^ Machine Equipment Memo
Found in the room where you place the elevator rods.
* Follow the corridor until you get to an intersection, then take a right. Follow the corridor to the end. The tinderbox is on the ground near some rubble blocking the path. (86)
* After picking it up, head into the cell that you just passed heading to #86. A tinderbox can be found on the ground next to a fallen-over chair. (87)
* Head back to the intersection and take a left this time (looking from where you first accessed the intersection). Follow the corridor until you reach an area with cells on either side of you. Enter the cell on your left. The tinderbox can be found hidden inside of a bucket. (88)
* Once again, head back to the intersection, and this time, go up the stairs and follow the corridor to the right at the top of the stairs. Be careful as a Grunt may be roaming this area. Follow the corridor until you come to another intersection. Here, take a right, and you will find the tinderbox on the ground near some rubble and a bottle of Laudanum. (89)
* Head back out, and take a right, down the stairs to the locked gate. The tinderbox is on the ground in front of the gate. (90)
* Head back up the stairs and take the first right. Then head straight until you come to another intersection and a cell right in front of you. Enter the cell and you will find the tinderbox on the ground along with an oil canister. (91)
** Crawl out of the crawlspace and follow the sign labelled “Kitchen”. Once you reach the kitchen, check on a shelf on the right side of the room for two tinderboxes. (92 & 93)
* Exit the kitchen, go past the crawlspace and up the stairs. Follow the corridor until you see a sign labelled “Cell Area III,” then head right, following the sign labelled “Storage”. When you reach the next fork, take a right and then head into the first cell on your right side. A tinderbox and a diary entry can be found in here on a bedside table. (94)
* Head into the cell opposite the one you were just in. Be wary, though, as there is a Servant Grunt in here. If you get killed by him you will respawn in the cell. The tinderbox is in a corner on top of a pile of filth in a small sub-room of the cell. (95)
**** Head back out and to your left, towards “Cell Area IV.” Go right at the fork and down the stairs, and you will reach the storage just around the corner. In the storage, you can find a whole four tinderboxes: Two on a shelf on the right side, and two in a chest on the left side with an oil canister. (96, 97, 98, & 99)
* Head back out and back up the stairs, take a left and follow the corridor past the two cells and then take a right at the fork. Keep heading straight at the next fork, around the bend, and then take a right at the next fork. Follow the corridor until you reach an area with cells on either side of you. Head into the cell on your right and you will find a tinderbox on the ground underneath a small table. (100)
* In the other cell opposite this one, a tinderbox can be found near the dead man. (101)
* Going back out the cell, and back left at the fork, and then another left at the next fork, and then straight ahead, you will find yourself at the gate to the cistern entrance. A tinderbox can be found on the floor near the gate. (102)
* Taking the last fork before the gate to the cistern entrance, and following the corridor all the way to the end, the final tinderbox of the Prison can be found on the floor near a locked gate and a couple of boxes and barrels. (103)
* In the first room to your right, with the pipe and the control panel, a tinderbox can be found on a box at the far end of the room. (104)
* In the room opposite the previous one, another tinderbox can be found on a box at the left side of the room. (105)
* After opening the gate and proceeding to the next part of the control room, head into the room to your right. The tinderbox is on a small table next to a note. (106)
1 note (15 total)
Found in the far right room, on a small table.
* To the right immediately as you enter the Cistern, a tinderbox sits on top of a couple of boxes on a raised part of the ground. (107)
* In a chest with an oil canister next to the large tank from which you can hear a person drowning. (108)
* Taking the left path in the corridor will lead you to the room where you find the copper tube. In here, a tinderbox can be found on the floor in the middle of a fallen-over shelf. (109)
** Two tinderboxes can be found in the room with the dead body from where you get the vaccine. One of them is in a bookshelf and the other is in a desk. (110 & 111)
2 notes (17 total)
^ Plague outbreak
Found on a bookshelf in the room with the dead man from which you gather the vaccine.
^ Vaccine trials
Found on a desk in the same room as the previous one.
* Take the first right as soon as you enter the Sewer, and follow the corridor until you see a large pipe sticking out of the wall. The tinderbox is inside the pipe. (112)
They will not spawn after you gather all the orb pieces and are thrown into the cells.
11 tinders (123 total)
* Behind the well at the very start of the level. (113)
* On the floor of the small blocked-off corridor to the right of the well.(114)
* On a table in the room with all the levers that can be entered through the door to the left of the well.(115)
*** Head down the large spiral staircase and check underneath it. One tinderbox can be found on the floor near a rope, and two more can be found further in on a box.(116, 117 & 118)
** In the corridor leading to the Choir Entrance, there is a side room to the left. In this side room, a tinderbox can be found in a desk, and another can be found in a bookshelf.(119 & 120)
* In the large cell area right before the chancel a tinderbox can be found on a shelf to your immediate left as you enter the room.(121)
* In a corner of the first cell on the right on the bottom floor.(122)
* In the top-right cell on the second floor, another tinderbox can be found.(123)
1 note (18 total)
^ Agrippa Channels Weyer
Found on a desk in the room to the left, right before you enter Choir – Entrance.
Same as before; once you collect the orb pieces and are thrown into the cells, they won’t spawn again
3 tinders (126 total)
* Going left at the intersection, to the room with the tar, a tinderbox can be found at the top of a shelf.(124)
* Heading downstairs towards the machinery that power the lightning tunnel, a tinderbox can be found on the floor.(125)
* If you instead take a right at the intersection, you will find yourself in a small room with a strange altar further in. The tinderbox sits on a bookshelf to the immediate right of the entrance. (126)
1 note (19 total)
^ The Shattered Orb
Found on a small room with an altar, if you take the bridge to the right.
** Two tinderboxes can be found in the room to your right as you enter the Choir Entrance. One is on a table to the left, and another is in the corner on the floor to your right.(127 & 128)
Choir Main Hall
* Take an immediate left when you enter the Choir – Main Hall until you reach a corner. A tinderbox sits here on the ground next to a couple of boulders.(129)
* Turn back around towards the entrance and follow the wall all the way until you reach an endless pit. A tinderbox sits in the corner between the wall and the pit.(130)
* Cross the bridge nearby and head on straight. A tinderbox and an oil canister can be found on the ground near a couple of boulders.(131)
* From #131, follow the wall to the left until you reach a corner. A tinderbox sits on the ground here. Beware, though, as a Brute lurks nearby.(132)
* Keep following the wall, around the bend and past the torture room until you reach a bottomless pit with a fallen pillar bridging the gap. The tinderbox is near the pit, by the pillar.(133)
* Jump up onto the pillar and walk across the pit. It can be a bit tricky, but it’s possible—try spamming the jump button. When you’ve reached the other side, turn left and take a look at the corner of the pit and the wall—a tinderbox should be on the floor. If you can’t make it up onto the pillar, you can walk all the way around. Try following the map found on the Choir – Main Hall page to find your way around.(134)
* Keep heading straight from the fallen pillar, and turn right when it’s possible, to reach the Brazen Bull torture room. In here, a tinderbox can be found behind a pillar on the left side of the room.(135)
* Head out of the room with the Brazen Bull and head straight until it’s possible to take a right. Near the wall and another bottomless pit there is another broken pillar on the ground. A tinderbox is on the ground nearby.(136)
* From #136, follow the bottomless pit to the left until you reach a bridge. Once you do, head right all the way until you reach the torture room with the iron maiden. In here, turn left into the first little protuberance in the room. The final tinderbox of the Choir sits here on the ground. (137)
*** One tinderbox can be found in each of the torture rooms. Left, right, and centre.(138, 139 & 140)
* Up the spiral staircase, a tinderbox can be found in the room on small table in the corner.(141)
1 note (20 total)
^ Notes on Torture
Found in a desk in the room at the top of the spiral staircase.
** After escaping from your own cell, head into the cell in front of you. An event will trigger, and when you come to a dead body will be in front of you. One tinderbox can be found on the left side of the bed frame he is slouched over. Another one can be found on the opposite side of the room, behind a bunch of boulders on the floor.(142 & 143)
* Another tinderbox can be found in the corner of the cell where you pick up the bucket.(144)
1 note (21 total)
^ Last prisoner note
Found in the first cell to the left, after you escape from your own cell. This is the last note in the run.
* On a table to the left in the room with the well you get to after you get out of the cells, next to a diary entry. (145)
* On the well in the next room, the same well from which you first entered the Nave the first time around. (146)
* Through the door to the left of the well, on the ground next to some rubble. (147)
* After you’ve descended the spiral staircase and entered the corridor, go right into the newly opened laboratory. In here, a tinderbox can be found on a bookshelf. (148)
* On the floor at the entrance to another newly created room to the left of Agrippa – The room where you find the bone saw.(149)
* Through the first door, directly opposite you on the floor behind a broken pillar. (150)
* Going left at the intersection, a tinderbox can be found on the shelf near the tar. (151)
Assuming you collected everything else, you should have gotten the Illuminatus achievement upon picking up tinderbox 151.
% A new plan
Found in the first cell to the left.
% Billet doux
Found in the far right room, on a table.
% Newspaper Article – 19 March 1858
Found on a small table in the torture room that you can reach after dropping from the tunnels in the ceiling.
Found on a desk in the first room to the right.
% Herbert’s letter
Found in a bookshelf on the left side of the previous room.
% Soul journal entries
Found on a table in the second room to the right.
% Shipment slip
In projector room, bookshelf on far right, pull book on (3rd?) shelf off, note will be hiding behind it. Needed for the “Still Alive” achievement.
% Unopened Letter
Found in the right room, on the top of a bookshelf, underneath a box.
% Unfinished Letter
Found on the first small cave to the left.
Assuming you have a save file from the base game will all 21 notes and you’ve collected all the other notes in this DLC, you should get the Master Archivist achievement upon picking up this last note.