Temporary modding guide for those who want to mess up with early card and character creation options before Steam Workshop integration is completed.
Feel free to try out and break things. There’s fun in that too!
To create a new card, you’ll need a simple ID which doesn’t match any of the existing cards (just add some numbers!) and a 128×128 PNG image. You can also upload 256×128 sprite sheet with two images for these card types:
- Character or enemy, where second frame should be “armless” to look better when it holds a weapon
- Weapons, where second frame is white paw or hand which will be overlaid over the first frame
In the future you’ll be able to set the values of the card and its type from the UI, but currently all what is available is choosing an existing card to be used as a template (PARENT). I would advice only picking basic items and enemies for this as a lot of card behavior is tied to their identifiers and using them with your custom creation can have some unexpected results. Might be funny, though!
- Select image is where you can swap the sprite with another image from your PC
- Clicking white rectangle at the left of the preview will allow entering HTML code of the card color, which will be used in certain elements (like the hand holding weapon)
Select menu below the card preview lets you switch between elements you can modify. Mainly cosmetics like icon or shadow position, angle and scale.
- Drag the icon around to change its position
- Mouse SCROLL to change the scale
- SHIFT+SCROLL controls angle
- CTRL+SCROLL adjusts alpha
For weapons it’s very important to set the handle position in the “HELD” section (drag the little node around). You can press “Q” to play the attack animation and see how that works. More weapon positioning options are coming in the future.
The cards you create here can only be used in custom character loadout or in custom deck.
- Inspect cards using RMB or SHIFT to unlock the custom character slot
- Click on the character
- Choose a sprite override from the existing creature cards (it’s only cosmetic) or upload your own
- Adjust colors and positioning in the Card Editor
- Click on character card slots to replace them with any unlocked and discovered card from the game or your own custom creations
No progression or placement is available in this mode at the moment, but more advanced playground will be added in the future.
Here’s one example theme: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7h9ub24v7yl2o8/classy.zip
You can find others in game directory.
Put them in game’s themes folder %localappdata% folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\CardHog\themes\) and if you haven’t messed up the syntax, it should appear in theme selection at game settings.
- Jet Lancer: How To Add Your Own Lance Replacement Sprite
- Rivals of Aether: Pokemon Stadium Compatibility Guide
- Last Oasis: How To Unlock CPU Priority
- Dawn of Man – Translation and Uploading to Workshop
- Monster Train: How to Fix Game Crash