Ever want to always find that secret room? Also, want a backdoor into blocked rooms? Well, now you have a way!
Note: After a year in Early Access, and three years in development, Dreamscaper 1.0 is now released on Steam.
As well as 100% floor completion and a free item, opening secret rooms can have other benefits as well, covered later in this guide!
- When a bomb is dropped in a room, if that room is adjacent to a secret room, a spot will appear on the wall that indicates that you can bomb there to gain access to the secret room. This spot is wavery patch (like hot air) with bright lights floating around. Make sure to look for this patch whenever you have dropped a bomb in a room.
- Secret rooms will always spawn with 3 or 4 adjacent rooms, with none of the adjacent rooms being the boss room. Make sure to remember this, to identify valid spawn locations.
- All adjacent rooms will have a place to open the secret room. Once the room is open, it will open itself for all adjacent rooms, without having to bomb the other places.
- When bombing a pile, if you think a secret room could be adjacent, try to position the bomb around the edge of the pile so it’s close to where the secret room access could be. This has a chance to save you a bomb. Even if it doesn’t, it will reveal the shimmer from point 1 if there is a secret room adjacent.
- If, when you have cleared all the non-boss rooms, you still haven’t found the secret room, make note of all the valid spawn locations for it (see point 2). For each of those possible locations, visit all the adjacent rooms. If any of the adjacent rooms has been bombed (a colourful circle will be left on the ground at the location of the bomb) and there is no shimmer (see point 1), then it’s not a possible location. Once you have determined all the possible locations, you should be left with only a few, or even one location. First, if there is a room adjacent to multiple possible locations, then go to that one. Bomb one of the empty walls, witch will either open the secret room, reveal a shimmer on the wall you didn’t bomb, or reveal that both possible locations don’t have the secret room. Second, go to rooms adjacent to possible locations that have 4 adjacent rooms. Bomb the adjacent wall, and you will open the room or reveal the room isn’t at the location. Third, do the same as the 4 rooms for the 3 rooms. Somewhere in this process you will open the secret room.
To take full advantage of this, when clearing a level, do every room that isn’t the boss room or a blocked room. Then, if the secret room is yet to be found, follow point 5 from the previous section, but add this as the first priority for rooms to bomb: Any room that is adjacent to a possible secret room, and has a bomb-blocked gate to another room. Bomb the blocked gate, don’t go though (yet), and check for the shimmer on the wall adjacent to the possible secret room. For no shimmer, the secret room isn’t there.