You can easily learn the basics of the game through the in-game tooltips that will be shown at the top of your screen when first starting out, however, I’ll recap through the controls in case you may have forgotten, or not sure about something.
W, A, S, D – Movement
Mouse Cursor – Look around/Aim character
Q/E – Throw Left/Right Weapon (Two-Handed weapons you can press either to throw)
Ctrl – Hold and attack to do an Overhead Swing
Shift – Change stance to Running (White Cursor) or Focus (Yellow Cursor)
Space – Grab an enemy (It’s weird, but if you keep pressing it while aiming at an enemy, you’ll eventually see the cursor change to a fist, which means you’re holding your enemy. Then, just move your cursor towards a direction and press Space again to throw your enemy.)
Space (while in Running stance) – Slide
That covers basic movement, but I’m sure you knew all that… Right?
Some tips to consider with the basic gameplay and movement:
– Never stop moving. You can easily leave yourself open to a random weapon being thrown or easy stab from an incoming enemy from behind.
– Always use a weapon. Fists and throwing enemies is cool and all, but for the most part, you’ll want some protection, unless you’re some kind of sliding god.
– Don’t use shields. Shields are practically useless, and take up a free hand which could be used for a weapon. Their only purpose is to stun an enemy by being thrown, and that’s it.
– Slide to trip enemies. A dude has a weapon you want, but is coming closer to using it against you? Just slide into him and make him drop said weapon, then use it to finish him.
– Be mindful of whoever’s attacking you. You can easily tell if someone wants you dead at the start of a round if they’re looking at you or your corner (unless you have teammates). Don’t go headfirst into combat in the middle of the arena, hang back and watch who’s coming for you, then take them out.
Keep these tips in mind, and you’ll get pretty far, I guarantee it.
- War Identity: Basic Controls
- Ironseed 25th Anniversary Edition: Combat Guide
- Nioh 2 The Complete Edition: Recommended Keyboard & Mouse Settings
- MannaRites: Basic Gameplay (Tips & Tricks)
- Sector’s Edge: Basic Structures for Beginners