Hi everyone! I was playing through the campaigns and I noticed that the game doesn’t like to make it obvious how much space each dino needs, it tells you in m2 but that doesn’t help. It also shows once you have placed a dino in an enclosure but I like to plan out everything before I start building the first pen. So, I spent some time in the sandbox-mode and tested the requirements for every dino in the game. Hopefully, this will be of some help to you all. Now before we get to it I want to preface this guide by saying that I set some rules to make it easier to use.
- I tried to make the smallest standard size pen possible for each dino. Below I explain what I mean by standard size.
- I use one length of fence (drag a piece of fence as far as it will go) as my standard unit. This means that while I put the dinos in the smallest pen I could use, it is possible to fit dinos in smaller pens but it makes it much harder to quantify how small a pen should be. For example, if I say a 2×2 pen then that is a pen that has 2 standard lengths of fence on each side, making it a perfect square. This means however that a dino which I say can fit in a 2×2 pen but not a 1×1 pen it could probably fit in a pen that is somewhere in between those two sizes.
- I group dinos by their Forest/Grassland requirement. This is not very precise but rather that these dinos share similar needs and you should be able to fit them in the same pen without too much trouble. It is possible to house dinos from different groups together but you probably need to spend a lot of time adding and removing Forest etc. or you need to place them in a bigger pen.
- If you see dinos in the same category it is technically possible to fit all of them in the same pen; the Forest/Grassland requirements are similar enough. Of course, this does not take social requirements into consideration.
- I separated herbivores and carnivores.
- I did not test 3 x 2 enclosures for herbivores because I wanted to do it in multiples of 2. (I did test a little bit but very few dinos have this pen as a requirement)
- This guide is not supposed to tell you how to play the game, you can make your enclosures however you want but I found it helpful to have a rough idea of how much space my dinos will need. This guide is not about how to make beautiful pens but more a guideline for planning and optimizing the space.
- If you see a category with “Using scenery trees” that means that you can’t use normal Forest but instead you have to use scenery trees since they add to the Forest need but they do not subtract from the Grassland.
- This was tested in the sandbox-mode on Isla Nublar.
- This guide is not supposed to be 100% accurate but rather a rough guide.
On to the details then:
2 x 1 Enclosure – Moderate Forest/Grassland
2 x 1 Enclosure – Emphasis on Forest
3 x 1 Enclosure – Moderate Forest/Grassland (Might be hard to fit these dinos into the same pen)
2 x 2 Enclosure – Moderate Forest/Grassland (These will fit in a 3 x 1 enclosure if you use “Scenery Trees”)
2 x 2 Enclosure – Emphasis on Grassland (Will fit in a 3 x 1 enclosure if you use “Scenery Trees”)
3 x 2 Enclosure – Moderate Forest/Grassland
4 x 2 Enclosure – Moderate Forest/Grassland (These will fit in a 3 x 2 enclosure if you use “Scenery Trees”)
4 x 4 Enclosure – Moderate Forest/Grassland (These will fit in a 3 x 3 enclosure using “Scenery Trees”. Technically all except the Dreadnoughtus fit in a 3 x 2 but you have to add so many “Scenery Trees” that it’s ridiculous, even the 3 x 3 is pushing it. 4 x 3 is viable though.)
2 x 2 Enclosure – Emphasis on Forest
2 x 2 Enclosure – Moderate Forest/Grassland
2 x 2 Enclosure – Emphasis on Wetland
3 x 2 Enclosure – Using “Scenery Trees”
3 x 3 Enclosure – Moderate Forest/Grassland ( * These dinos will fit in a 3 x 2 + 1 x 1 enclosure if you use “Scenery trees”)
- Acrocanthosaurus *
- Indominus Rex *
3 x 3 Enclosure – Emphasis on Wetland
And that’s it, let me know what you think!
- The GoD Unit: Full Walkthrough [Hard]
- Kingdoms Reborn: Optimal Starting Location (Where to Start)
- Everland (Stress Test): How to Find All Piggies
- OMORI: All Enemy and Boss Locations
- Workers & Resources Soviet Republic: How Make Realistic Forests and Interesting Mapdesign