Here’s the current working solution for those that have issues with the game seemingly not recognizing their gamepad.
Currently known solutions
Follow from Step 1 to Step 5.
I’ve personally tested this method and it was the only one that worked for me.
Solution #2: Select Steam Input, apply a community controller preset while having “Show other controll types” enabled.
Follow Step 3, beginning of Step 4, Alternative Solution #2, Step 5.
I can confirm that the game does show community control schemes which can be converted to your gamepad’s scheme.
Solution #3: Move the game’s install to the same partition as Steam.
Follow Alternative Solution #1.
I did not confirm this one.
Step 1. Opt-out of Steam Beta if you’re using it
If you’re already on a stable release of Steam and you’re still having issues, skip to Step 3!
If you don’t want to opt out of Steam Beta then try Alternative Solution #2!
Settings > Account > Change > set to NONE > OK
Confirm Steam restart.
Step 2. Re-add SteamLibrary folder(s) if you’re using more than one
Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders> Add Library Folder and point Steam to your games, then press Select.
Otherwise skip to Step 3.
Step 3. Change controller override to Steam Input
Step 4. Launch the game and apply an official configuration
- If you’ve never played the game, press New Game and you’ll get options screen, where you can select Steam Controller Settings.
- If you’ve played the game press Continue. Then press Tab. Select Controls. From there you can open the config.
Then Browse Configs and then pick Official Configuration for Tales of Arise for your appropriate gamepad and click apply.
Step 5. Restart the game
- Your gamepad should be already connected when the game is launched.
- Make sure the game is focused.
You will know the gamepad is working if you can skip intro logos with button presses.
Once your gamepad is working it will work even on Beta, however, when you’re on Beta you cannot access Official configurations (the list shouldn’t be empty):
Alternative Solution #1
another solution would be moving the game to the same partition where Steam is installed.
Go to game’s Properties > Local Files > Move install folder… > Select same partition as Steam > Move Folder
Alternative Solution #2
Browse Config > Community > Show Other Controller Types > Apply one of the fitting configs.
Follow Step 5 (restart the game).
- Tales of Arise: How to Set up the Character in Combat
- Tales of Arise: How to Fix UltraWide Monitors
- Tales of Arise: HUD Toggle Tool (How to Download & Install)
- Tales of Arise: Character Eye and Hair Texture Replacement Tool
- Tales of Arise: All Ore Farming Locations