This guide will walk you through how to get to the true ending in the least number of loops to unlock the “Minimalist” achievement.
Before reading the guide, I would recommend trying to deduce the best path for the Minimalist achievement on your own. It is a nice sort of puzzle to try and figure out the fastest way to complete the game, and it’s not as challenging as you might expect (in spite of how long this guide turned out). Remember, this game is all about figuring things out with careful consideration, not brute force. If you do get stuck or need a push in the right direction, check out the titles for each section to give you a good framework.
It took me ~6 hours to put this guide together, and I may have made mistakes. Many long dialogue options are shortened to save me the trouble of typing them all out. Let me know if you have any questions or notice any errors.
Save often, in case you make any mistakes.
- Start a new game and create your character (Fugitive would be best for the 25% faster sprint).
- Enter the city, then the time portal.
1. The Golden Bow and Key to the Chest in the Shrine of Apollo
1. Save Fabia from the crumbling shrine, and get the Armed Stranger crushed in it instead. Loot his bow.
2. Get the idea for Galerius running for Magistrate from Duli.
3. Get the Golden Bow with Desius’ help.
4. Go through the tunnels/palace to get the “Key to the Chest in the Shrine of Apollo” from Naevia.
- After exiting the time portal, decline the tour from Galerius to get an achievement.
- Walk to the market and approach the area towards the bathhouse where Fabia is hiding. Do not walk up to her. You must first read the note on the collapsible shrine saying that the shrine is at risk of collapse (circled in dark blue on the image below). Otherwise, your character lacks enough reason to suspect that it could collapse, and won’t be able to convince Fabia to avoid it.
However, Fabia’s range for her to talk to you is rather large, so you must avoid it to reach the note. To do so, you can either climb up on the handrail (see the green line in the image below), or go down the back alley and climb up the short part of the wall on the side (see the blue line/circle below.)
If you trigger Fabia on accident before reaching the note, pick the dialogue “How is this my problem?” and then “Just callous. Good luck!” to get an achievement. Then reload your save from before talking to her and try again.
- After reading the note, approach Fabia and agree to confront the man. Tell her “Do not go in there!”.
- Approach the bathhouse and lie to the Armed Stranger “Yes, I saw him worshipping in the…”.
- While you wait for the Armed Stranger to get crushed, talk to Duli in the prison cell. Select the following:
- “What’s your story?” and go through the dialogue.
- “If you give me the key, I can try to find what it unlocks”
- “Let me talk to the Magistrate about getting you out of here”
- “Then maybe it’s time we had a new Magistrate.”
This will give Galerius the dialogue option later to convince him to run for magistrate.
- Go loot the body from the crushed Armed Stranger for his Wooden bow, the Bounty notice, and 10 arrows.
- Approach Desius and accept his proposition to swap out the Golden Bow for the fake.
- Enter Diana’s shrine, extinguish the braziers, and swap out the bow. Then shoot the wasp nest to open the tunnels. (If you want an achievement, stand near the hole and get killed by the wasps first.) Go through the tunnels and the palace area to get to Naevia. (Tip: Headshotting the stripped statues will turn them into gold instantly. Bodyshots require 2 arrows.)
- When Naevia talks to you, select:
- “This has nothing to do with me”
- “It’s not just this statue whispering to me…”
- “No, I swear”
- “I ended up here by accident…”
- “I never had any intention of hurting you”
- “Wait, I can undo this”
- “I can cover her in gold again”.
- Shoot the strapped up statue to turn it back into gold, then take the Key that Naevia gives you.
2. Rufius’ Threat, Roman Plaque, and Wine
- Go to the slums through the front gate (near the Shrine of Persephone.) Immediately upon entering, go up the stairs on your right, then turn right into the small room. Read the threatening note on the desk from Rufius.
- Towards the back of the slums, go through the gate (see below), then immediately turn right. Go straight up the steps, then turn left (there is a golden statue running that direction).
- There will be a small wooden hut (see below), search the chest inside for a Bottle of Wine.
- Continue in the same direction through the cave, until you find a wall with vines growing down it. Shoot it with your Golden Bow and climb over.
- On the other side, take the Roman Plaque from the table. Then take the key from the wall next to the door and unlock the door.
- Leave the shrine, then take two lefts through the caves to wind up at the election area.
- (Optional): Fire an arrow at the vines on the column. Climb up to loot the chest for 1k denarii.
- Go to the Shrine of Apollo (where the poisoned girl is at), then unlock the chest immediately inside the door on the left. Take the notes from it.
- Talk to Lucretia. Select:
- What’s your story?
- Tell me more about Naevia.
- Actually, I already figured out the treatment for rheumatism.
You will be given the Willowbark treatment.
- Find Vergil at his shop, and ask him:
- I noticed the graffiti…
- Why does someone think that?
- You like men?
- I’m sorry to hear that
- I think I already know who it is.
- Find Rufius and ask him about his rheumatism. Then “Are you the one threatening Vergil?” and “I know it was you…”
3. Ulpius Suicide, Malleolus’ Identity
- Go up to the high temple and approach Ulpius as he’s about to jump. Leave the conversation with Octavia as she tries to talk to you, then agree to talk to Ulpius.
- Talking to Ulpius, select:
- Ulpius, can we talk?
- I was just going to ask you what’s wrong.
- After he jumps, jump down after him to fall into the deep water hole his body created, which will get you into Malleolus’ manor.
- In Malleolus’ manor, talk to Malleolus, then select:
- So you’re Quinctius?
- I can’t prove it’s you, yet. But I will.
- I’ll be going now.
- Take the key hanging to the left of the front door, then go up the staircase to your right.
- Unlock the door on the 2nd floor, then talk to the lady inside. Select:
- Can we talk?
- Why are you locked in this room?
- How would you like some help getting back at Malleolus?
- Just a hunch…
- I just hate to see a beautiful woman treated so poorly.
- Actually, I don’t have any questions.
- I have some wine right here.
- -Select whatever options for the remainder of the conversation-
- Go back to Malleolus, select:
- I want you to drop out of the election.
- Because I know you’re Quinctius…
- No, I’m not, fortunately for you.
- I will.
- Leave the manor.
4. Name of the unknown god
- Outside of Malleolus’ manor, wait for Domiticus to tell Equitia the Priestess that Malleolus has dropped out. Once she finishes announcing it, talk to her and select:
- What’s your story?
- I’m in a hurry
- How did you end up here?
- What were you going to say?
- Alright, I’ll do it.
- I’ll be careful.
- Talk to random citizens asking “What’s your story?” then “How did you end up here?” until your quests update saying you notice three patterns (a coin, a river, and memory lapses.) (Note: Some citizens don’t offer clues.)
- Go back and talk to Equitia, select:
- What’s your story?
- How did you end up here?
- What were you going to say?
- I may have already noticed a pattern
- -Select all 3 patterns-
- Follow Equitia to the bathhouse. Select:
- I don’t have any questions right now.
- -Go through each option until you get the option “Alright, I’m ready to get started”-
- -Select any choice of quest objective-
5. The Hermit Philosopher, Egyptian and Mystery Plaque
- Go into the shrine to the left of the collapsed temple, where the Armed Stranger was crushed.
- Inside, to the right of the statue, there is a hidden opening covered by a mini wood door. Crouch and enter it, then go down until you meet the Hermit Philosopher.
- Note: There’s multiple ways to complete this dialogue, but for the sake of brevity, I’m only including one. Talking to the Hermit, select:
- I’m [name]
- I’m looking for Khabash.
- -Note: If you haven’t completed the previous section with Equitia, you can’t progress past here in the conversation.-
- Sounds easy enough.
- I’m not sure. It’s a complex question.
- It is.
- Whose version of right and wrong?
- No, I don’t think so.
- I suppose we just haven’t figured it out yet.
- What’s your point?
- Fair point.
- I agree.
- -Ask either about the plaque or Khabash to get a key-
- Unlock the door into the catacombs.
- Down in the Egyptian area, either fight all the golden statues, or avoid them by running to the house on the right and crossing the plank bridge (see below).
- Approach Khabash. (Note: I don’t think the dialogue here matters much, except “I want to return it to the obelisk.” He will always drop the mystery plaque.) Select:
- I’m [name]
- I’m looking for an Egyptian plaque.
- I want to return it to the obelisk.
- Do you know where I can find it?
- May I have it?
- How so?
- The Egyptian Underworld?
- So what’s the problem with this plaque?
- (Lie) If you give it to me, I’ll destroy it for you.
- Please, don’t.
- -Finish the conversation.-
- Pick up the Sumerian Plaque. Proceed through the Sumerian Ruins. (Trigger the 3 boulder traps and avoid them to get an achievement.)
- When confronted by Khabash, select:
- There’s no need for this to end in violence.
- There’s no shame in building on the works of the people who came before you.
- If gods exist, isn’t it possible they each have more than one “true” name?
- Isn’t being a good person a worthwhile pursuit, in and of itself?
- Even if your beliefs about the afterlife weren’t quite accurate…
- Climb the latter and exit the ruins, and return to the market.
6. Silphium Resin, the Blocked Door, and ending Loop 0
- Before finishing the loop, create a Save, just in case you need to come back due to missing something.
- To finish this loop, steal the Silphium Resin from Desius’ stall. On the way back to the time portal, before the entrance to the slums, go into the cave that was blocked by a golden statue, which has now moved due to the Golden Rule being broken (see image below). Go inside and loot the chest for 4k denarii. (If you forget this, there is a backup option.)
- Enter the time portal and end Loop 0.
7. Loop 1, Save Ilius and Ulpius.
- After exiting the time portal, talk to Galerius and he will give you a zip line. (Note: if you don’t get a zip line, it means you’ve done more than one loop on accident, and likely need to start a new game over again.)
- Thanks. You seem capable…
- -Select the three available options, which should include “Rufius threatening Vergil”, “Fabia entering the shrine”, “Malleolus’ real name”.
- Go to the shrine of Apollo and give the Silphium Resin to Lucretia. You must do this before going to Ulpius.
- -Note: If you don’t have at least 2k denarii, talk to Desius and offer to sell him info on how to get a Golden Bow. Max he’ll go is 3k denarii, which is more than enough, but he won’t speak to you for the rest of the loop.-
- Go up to where Ulpius is about to jump.
- Note: As of version 1.1, this conversation can be a bit glitchy due to Galerius talking to Malleolus down below, assuming you rushed up here. If any of the following happens:
- The conversation abruptly ends
- Ulpius doesn’t run down to see Malleolus
- Malleolus and Domiticus get stuck in a loop saying “Domiticus, are you listening?” “Yes sir.”
…then reload to before talking to Ulpius, and wait a minute or two for Galerius to finish talking to them down below.
- Talking to Ulpius, select:
- Is this what Sentilla would want?
- I’ve already saved Iulia’s life.
- Actually I do.
- No, you’d be free.
- Of course.
8. Elect Galerius, and the Greek Plaque
- Once Galerius finishes talking to everyone he needs to, he’ll be in the running for magistrate. (Note: As of version 1.1, Ulpius and Rufius will both say they’re voting for Sentius, but will actually vote for Galerius.)
- Talk to Equitia, and ask:
- What’s the status of the election?
- Can we start the election now?
- Holding it early may prevent conflict between the voters.
- Wait for the election to conclude. (Note: As of version 1.1, Ulpius will say “The man who saved my life, Galerius”, even though you’re the one who saved him. This could get fixed/changed in the future to where he doesn’t vote to Galerius, so just be aware of the inconsistency. You can pay Desius to vote for Galerius as a backup.)
- After Galerius wins, go to Duli’s cell.
- As soon as they open the cell, run in and grab the Greek Plaque behind Duli.
- Run up to the mystery temple (same place that Ulpius was about to jump.) (Supposedly Duli can break the Golden Rule, so you may want to hurry. You’ll be safe once inside the temple.)
- Place all 4 plaques into the obelisk. then enter the door.
9. The White Hall (Warning Spoiler)
To convince him to end the Golden Rule, you must first bring up sins he has ignored.
A more direct explanation: Certain dialogue options do not appear unless you’ve asked him other questions already. There is a “Q&A phase” and then a “Persuasion phase”. Exhaust all dialogue options in the Q&A phase before proceeding to ensure nothing is missed, and thus unlock the necessary dialogue options to complete the Persuasion phase.
Note: If you reload your save, you will need to do all of the below dialogue over again. I have not experimented with this extensively, so some of it is potentially not necessary, but better to be safe than sorry.
If you get annoyed hovering over the spoiler over and over while trying to go through the dialogue, highlight it all and copy paste it into Notepad to read it.
1. Entering the temple, Speak to the doors in this order:
Pluto, Hades, Osiris, Nergal
2. Approach the throne and speak to him.
1. Go through every dialogue option presented, until everything is grey, going from top to bottom. (“What do you consider a sin?” has two options, ignoring the (Lie) option. Be sure to select both.)
2. After selecting “I’ve seen some terrible things here that you didn’t consider a sin…”, select “Experimenting on the golden statues”
3. I see.
4. A new option appears. Select “I’ve heard enough…”
5. No, but that’s my point…
6. And if you did, you’d be proving my point.
7. Select “That’s all the questions I had” to finish the Q&A phase.
Here, you will persuade him to end the Golden Rule. Follow along closely here, as a mistake could cause him to attack and force you to reload from the beginning. If any dialogue options appear to be missing, you may have missed a key dialogue option from the Q&A phase.
1. Speaking to Charon, select “I’m from the future.”
2. I was hoping you could tell me. (Lie)
3. Shouldn’t you know this, as the God of the Underworld?
4. I’d like you to put an end to The Golden Rule.
5. The Golden Rule is corrupting this city…
6. How can you expect us to live without sin…
7. You’ve given terrible punishments to hundreds of people…
8. If our positions were reversed…
10. What makes your kind superior to mine?
11. Why does wisdom and technology make you superior?
12. So you think you’re not obliged to treat us fairly…
13. What was it the Romans Stoics said? “Treat your inferior…
14. But didn’t you say Jupiter was your leader? …
15. So are you treating humans the way you would wish Jupiter to treat you?
16. I’m saying: If you can’t follow your own rule…
17. You’re not a monster…
18. Humans make mistakes. It’s in our nature.
19. Perhaps he made a mistake too.
20. Perhaps when you took on human form, you took on some human foibles as well.
21. We just want to return to the world.